Author Topic: basecamp  (Read 7148 times)

explorer

• Tadpole
    • View Profile
basecamp
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:14:55 AM »
I am planning to buy feedhopper to use it in rss feed of basecamp.  Is it compatible?

doug@dyerware.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: basecamp
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:08:30 AM »
http://help.37signals.com/basecamp/questions/111-why-doesn-t-the-basecamp-rss-feed-work-with-bloglines-or-google-reader-or-firefox-safari-rss

well according to them they recommend feedHopper for the iPad.  I personally have not validated their claim, however we do support authenticated feeds and if what they say in the article is correct about base camp offering authenticated feeds, it should work.

In feedHopper, when you enter your feed there is a section called 'advanced'.  There, you will see 'URL Account Options" where you will enter your user name and password (in this case, I think the user name is your API key).

[edit: explorer, if you do go with feedHopper (and we hope you do :)) please reply back if it works for you

-d
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:12:13 AM by support »

explorer

• Tadpole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:29:48 AM »
It works.  The problem is that I can only see the title/header and if I want to go and see message body, I am being diverted to basecamp site and ask for my real account user name and password which is very inconvenient (even download full article is on).  I hope you can do something about it. Thank You.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:40:29 AM by explorer »

doug@dyerware.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
Hmmm.  Try turning on full articles (edit the feed by touching the locker then touch the feed). Find the rss content category to bring up the full text articles option.

On this settings page turn on full article and turn off reading mode

Next in basecamp add a new article.  Then back in fH refresh the feed and see if it shows up ok

(fH does not download articles it already has which is why I suggest adding a new art. To your acct)

doug@dyerware.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
A little more info (I typed that last post from my phone and so I kept it short):  fH is not hiding content from you... its likely base camp just offers a minimal RSS feed to get you to log in.  Full text articles is a long shot but its something anyway.

There is one advanced trick fH can pull off that may work for you that will auto-log you on.  Under the settings for your base camp feed, go to the advanced category and enable 'POSTing".  in Text put:
username=yourusername&password=yourpassword

See if that helps.  If not, you can then go back to advanced and turn on "Custom URL" and put:
https://launchpad.37signals.com/basecamp/signin

I don't have a basecamp account.  If you want to PM me a temporary user/acct Ill dig deeper and see if we can get it going for you.

-d