Author Topic: Restoring feeds from device backup possible?  (Read 5012 times)

Porsupah

• Tadpole
    • View Profile
Restoring feeds from device backup possible?
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
So, something had somehow become corrupt in feedHopper's database of feeds, causing it to reliably die on launch. Restarting the iPad (v.1 64GB 3G, iOS 5.0.1) had no effect, so I took the Microsoft solution of removing the app within iTunes, then adding it back again.

Unsurprisingly, that's also wiped the errant database, leaving me with just the default feeds.

Is there any way, however arcane, to extract the db from a previous device backup? Or is the only solution just to try remembering all the feeds and adding them back?

doug@dyerware.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Restoring feeds from device backup possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »
Let me apologize about this.  I don't quite understand it yet but first generation iPads are having a problem with the update.  Very upsetting and I assure you its being looked into.

In a way yes there is a trick you can perform, but its a little out of your way:
  • First, restore the iPad to get your old working version.  Then in feedHopper, export your feed list as an email (just send it to yourself).  You get to the export menu through the global settings.
  • Secondly, apply the update (you will likely have to delete feedHopper and redownload it as you have found out).
  • Thirdly, go to your email program (on the iPad) and locate that export email, open the attachment and copy to clipboard its contents.
    And lastly, start feedHopper and go to the '+' menu and select 'import from clipboard'

This will give you the feeds and folders back.  You will lose some customizations such as icon preference, passwords (for authenticated feeds), and reading mode choices.  You will also lose the articles and podcasts you have already downloaded.

doug@dyerware.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
Temporarily pulled app from store until this gets understood

Porsupah

• Tadpole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
Thanks! Yes, that's done it. Although, I couldn't seem to copy the attachment from Mail on the iPad - printing and opening in SynthTronica (!) were options, but nothing else. Instead, I dropped it onto my webserver temporarily, and loaded it from there.

True, a bit of a scenic route to restoring the feeds, but still preferable to trying to remember them all!

It's unfortunate the issue cropped up, of course, but it's a rare software development cycle that doesn't hit a bump along the way.

anything