Author Topic: Back button?  (Read 5536 times)

commorancy

• Tadpole
    • View Profile
Back button?
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:20:52 PM »
Hello,

I just bought the iPad feedhopper app.  Whenever I enter a feed and then enter sub-pages within the feed, I get stuck on that sub-page with no way backwards.  While I can use up and down arrows to move through previous and next pages within the feed, I cannot seem to find an easy way back to the previous screen or main screen (to view all the feeds again).  In fact, if I home button out of the app and get back in, it takes me right back to the page where I was (still stuck with no way backwards).

So, I end up having to double-click the home button, find the task and kill it.  Then, when feedhopper restarts, it's back at the main screen again with all of the feeds.  This seems to be the only way to get back to the main feeds screen that I've found.  Dragging up and down or left and right doesn't work.  The home button doesn't do it. 

Please add a back button in the upper left corner of the sub page screens (where the feed name is) so we can move backwards through the pages.  I'd also like to see a button that takes you back to the home screen with all of the feeds.  If I'm missing something very basic here in the navigation, please let me know.

Otherwise, I really like where this is going.

Thanks.

--
Brian

doug@dyerware.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Back button?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:34:17 AM »
When you are reading an article (and as you say there are the up and down buttons to walk the ariticle list) there should be the following:

In portrait, a button labeled 'articles'.  Touch that and the master navigation window shows up with a back button in addition to the list of articles available to you.  The navigation button says 'main' and is arrow-shaped and at the top where the title of the article list you are in is displayed.  I believe there is a bug in the current version of feedHOpper with this button sometimes not appearing.  It is fixed in an upcoming version.  If you have lost it, a simple rotation and back will make it reappear.

In landscape, you have two possibilities:
1)  the default presentation with the article list on the left and the article on the right.  The back button is always visible in the upper left corner of the screen.

2) You are in widescreen mode (you pressed the little stretch-to-left button on the toolbar).  In this case it looks like the portrait mode does:  there is an 'articles' button.  Touching that will bring up the articles list in addition to the back button.

I apologize you are having problems.  I can post pictures for you if necessary.  Please let me know if you have more questions!

-d

commorancy

• Tadpole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:59:07 AM »
Ok, then here's the bug..

I add an RSS feed for a Wiki.  When I first enter the feed, there's a list.  I select a sub-article category and it shows me the first article in the list.  In portrait, there's no 'Articles' button in the upper left.  Once I rotate the screen to landscape, then back to portrait, the button appears.  Until I rotate, there is no 'Articles' button.  So, you are kind of trapped there.  If you don't think about rotating the screen, you would be trapped in that article with no way out.

Of course, I didn't think to rotate the iPad as I had it docked in the Apple iPad dock.  So, I didn't grab it and attempt to rotate it.

Anyway, you probably want to ensure the 'Articles' button always appears at the upper left of each article whether or not the iPad has been rotated to landscape.

I've attached two images:  One before rotation, one after.  You'll see the button is missing on the 'before'.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:08:10 AM by commorancy »

doug@dyerware.com

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:22:45 AM »
Thank you!  I know you went to a lot of trouble to post the images not to mention registering and posting.

The bug is fixed in the current 5.0 build.  5.0 is a major update and is still not in final test, so it may be a few weeks until its submitted to Apple so thats why the bug lingers a bit.  Bear with us just a short while and I promise some cool stuff in 5  8)

regards
-d

commorancy

• Tadpole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
Thanks.  I look forward to the 5.0 release.